USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows
Thesycon’s USB audio class driver TUSBAudio targets USB audio devices for professional and semi-professional use and highest quality audiophile HiFi systems. The driver supports devices which are compliant to the USB Audio 2.0 or USB Audio 1.0 device class specification. The driver provides an ASIO 2.2 compliant software interface and integrates with Windows as a standard WDM/DirectX compatible sound device. If the device provides MIDI features the driver exposes standard Windows MIDI ports.
To meet professional audio requirements, the audio class driver is optimized for low latency and low CPU load. Buffer depths can be adjusted by the user to optimize settings for a given computer. The driver implements a transparent (bit-perfect) playback and recording data path.
Feature Summary - USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows
- supports Audio class 1.0 and Audio class 2.0 devices
- supports standard sampling rates (depending on device capabilities):
44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz, 384 kHz
- supports USB Audio Type I sample formats:
PCM 16 bit, PCM 24 bit, PCM 32 bit, FLOAT 32 bit
- supports stereo and multi-channel configurations with as many channels as the device implements
- ASIO 2.2 compliant driver DLL
- sample formats (depending on device capabilities): PCM 24 bit, PCM 32 bit, Float 32 bit
- bit-perfect playback and recording through ASIO
- playback mix (simultaneous ASIO and WDM playback)
- supports both 32-bit and 64-bit ASIO host applications
- multi-client support (multiple ASIO applications in parallel)
- configuration of ASIO buffer depth via driver control panel
- ASIO DSD mode supported (playback and recording)
- DSD sample rates: DSD64 (2.8MHz), DSD128 (5.6MHz), DSD256 (11.3MHz), DSD512 (22.6MHz)
- standard Windows sound interfaces: MME, DirectSound, WASAPI
- stereo and multi-channel playback and recording sound devices (depending on device capabilities)
- flexible sound device configuration, for example:
8-channel unit can either be exposed as 7.1 or 4 x stereo playback
- bit-perfect playback and recording through WASAPI
- volume and mute control through Windows standard GUI (depending on device capabilities)
- jack sensing (depending on device capabilities)
- PCM 16 bit, 24 bit, and 32 bit sample format (depending on device capabilities)
- native DSD mode through ASIO (see above)
- DSD over PCM (DoP) supported through ASIO and WDM
- Windows compliant MIDI input and output ports (depending on device capabilities)
- Multiple applications can share a MIDI input port.
- Optionally, multiple applications can share a MIDI output port.
Customization of the Driver
- The driver will be delivered fully customized for licensee’s product.
- Customization includes USB VID/PID, file names, text strings, etc.
- Windows 10 version of the driver is signed with Microsoft Attestation signing.
- Windows 7/8 version of the driver is signed with Thesycon’s code signing certificate.
- Driver Customization Kit add-on: The Driver Customization Kit enables licensee to customize the driver by themselves.
- Wizard style user interface for interactive use
- Command line interface (silent mode) for integration into overall software setup
- Customization possible
- Control panel application with graphical user interface is included
- Device status and control via private programming interface (DLL)
- Source code of the control panel is part of the SDK.
- DFU utility with graphical user interface is included
- Firmware upgrade according to DFU device class
- Customization and Multi-language user interface is possible
- Source code of the DFU utility is part of the SDK.
NOTE: A DFU utility with identical functionality is available for macOS as well.
Software Development Kit - SDK
The SDK add-on is an optional component. It enables custom control panel development and direct access to custom firmware features. The SDK includes:
- API definition and link library for TUSBAudio API DLL
- Source Code of sample control panel implementation
- Source Code of DFU Application
x86 (32 bit)
x64 (64 bit)
Device and Firmware Requirements
The USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows implements the USB Audio 2.0 and 1.0 device class specification and is independent of the specific silicon and firmware solution used in a given device. As long as the hardware and firmware implement the descriptors, endpoints and requests defined in the class specification the driver should work. However, there are some requirements and assumptions as listed below.
- A device can implement a playback data path, a recording data path, or both.
- Both playback and recording path must be driven by the same sample clock source (as required by ASIO).
- An Audio 2.0 device must implement at least one clock source unit. If there is more than one clock source then a clock selector unit must be implemented as well.
- The driver supports the asynchronous, synchronous and adaptive endpoint synchronization model.
- If there is a recording path (IN endpoint) then the driver uses the incoming sample stream as clock reference to generate the outgoing stream (playback path).
- A playback-only device with an asynchronous OUT endpoint must implement a feedback endpoint.
- Optionally, a device can implement a feature unit to expose volume and mute controls.
Free Demo, Licensing conditions & Prices
Current Version: 3.34
NOTE: The driver described on this page is *not for use by end users*. It will not help solve any problems you may experience with a consumer device. Licenses are only available for hardware or software manufacturers.
To receive a free demo, prices or license agreement, please fill out the contact form.
The free evaluation version of the TUSBAudio device driver includes all features but has a time-bomb restriction. After the device is connected, the evaluation driver works for an interval of 60 minutes without any limitation. After that interval has expired the driver inserts a short beep tone into all input and output audio channels every five minutes. The driver stops receiving and sending MIDI data after the interval has expired. The evaluation interval can be restarted by unplugging and re-plugging the device.
USB Vendor and Product ID
For each USB device model an official USB vendor ID (VID) is required. Vendor IDs must be unique and will be assigned by the USB Implementers Forum (www.usb.org). Registration fees will be charged.
Thesycon owns a USB vendor ID and offers a subset of product IDs (PID) to device vendors. For customers who have licensed USB software from Thesycon this service is free of charge.
Keep up to Date
If you would like to be kept informed of product updates, please subscribe to the Thesycon newsletter.
© 2017 THESYCON